This was the site of the First American Airbase in the UK
The community getting together to celebrate
The Manorial influence
(WORK IN PROGRESS)
Taken from A Vision of Britain Through Time
A Brief History of The Salings
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Saling like this:
SALING (Great), a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands 4½ miles N W by W of Braintree r. station; dates from before the time of Edward the Confessor; and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish comprises 1, 651 acres. Real property, £2, 605. Pop., 361. Houses, 72. S. Grove is the seat of Mrs. Fowke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150.* Patron, W. V. Fowke, Esq. The church was restored in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £5.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bardfield Saling like this:
BARDFIELD-SALING, or Little Saling, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; 5 miles NW by W of Braintree r. station. Post Town, Saling, under Braintree. Acres, 1,111. Real property, £1,757. Pop., 356. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. The living is a donative in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £75. Patron, W. Sandle, Esq. The church is good. Charities, £7.